Senior Legal Counsel - Technology and Data
Merkle and Dentsu Aegis UK Limited (DAN UK) are looking to recruit a Senior Lawyer to support Merkle’s operations in the UK as part of the wider DAN UK legal team.
The individual will be joining a London based team of 12 UK legal staff headed by General Counsel for DAN UK and Ireland, and a team of 6 US legal staff headed by General Counsel for Merkle. The UK and Merkle legal teams are part of a close-knit global team of approximately 110 lawyers headed by the Group General Counsel - Simon Zinger - who strongly promotes professional development and the value of lawyers within the company.
This is a very hands-on role with the individual assisting with all aspects of legal work on behalf of DAN and Merkle and assisting the parent company in corporate initiatives as necessary from time to time. Core work will involve leading the UK businesses in respect of commercial and technology contracting, with a solid understanding of data and privacy related regulations. Experience in complex commercial agreements, and dealing with suppliers in the media and technology industries is essential. Pan- European experience in data and privacy would be ideal but is not essential.
The key legal matters and/or areas of work encountered will vary but will primarily include:
- Commercial contracting (drafting, negotiating, advising business people)
- Data and privacy compliance
- Data processing agreements, sharing and licensing agreements
- Data subject access requests and processes
- Dealing with data security breaches and recommending process and Strategy
- Data compliance audits
- Training commercial team and contract staff
The Ideal Candidate
The Position is open to candidates coming directly from law firms as well as those with in-house experience.
The Senior Lawyer will be an integral member of the legal team and have primary responsibility for delivering support and assistance to various UK operational divisions of Merkle and DAN UK. This is a hands-on, partly autonomous and highly visible role within the business and the individual will work on a range of diverse and challenging projects. Therefore, the ideal candidate must:
- be commercially-minded and have excellent communication and inter-personal skills to enable them to work with all levels of management and negotiate with external clients
- possess well-developed prioritisation skills given the likelihood of dealing with multiple projects at any one time
- be able to work autonomously where needed
- be able to work well under pressure and able to professionally manage through fast-moving and complex situations
- have a pleasant but firm personality and be able to work in a cross-cultural environment, including having a have a collaborative mindset and being able to enable close partnerships with other legal and finance experts across the business
The ideal candidate will:
- have demonstrable post qualification experience and have qualified in a UK jurisdiction
- have experience of drafting and negotiating commercial contracts, with strong background of independently advising clients in relation to commercial transactions ideally in the area of technology and data
- have a demonstrable ability to provide accurate, timely and pragmatic legal advice
About the Company
Dentsu Aegis London Limited is wholly owned by Dentsu Inc. the world’s leading independent media communications network. As part of Dentsu Inc. and the Dentsu Aegis Network, DAN UK is the first truly global communications network for the digital age. DAN UK aims to be the network of choice for clients seeking best-in-class expertise and capabilities in brand, media and digital communications services. Offering a distinctive and innovative range of products and services, Dentsu Aegis Network is headquartered in London. Dentsu Aegis Network operates in 145 countries worldwide with over 38,000 dedicated specialists.
In 2016, Dentsu Aegis Network enhanced its global data-led marketing capabilities with the acquisition of a majority stake in Merkle, a global independent data marketing agency. Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specialises in the delivery of unique, personalised customer experiences across platforms and devices. With more than 4,100 employees, Merkle is headquartered in Columbia, Maryland with 16 additional offices in the US and 8 offices in Europe and Asia. The services that Merkle provides include management of cloud data and CRM systems; data analysis and insights; production of creative and content that leverage the most appropriate channels, media, technology and platforms; and campaign planning.