Business Development Director
The Business Development Director (BDD) role is a senior position within Carat Global’s Business Development team. Carat is set a highly ambitious target for growth each year in both organic and in new business development. This team is responsible for developing and driving the plan to realise this target, working with all markets that make up the Carat network and all other network brands.
The BDD will help lead Carat’s resources and intelligence around new business pitches to maximise the conversion rate of new business opportunities. This is true for pitches where Carat has no existing relationship, or in developing the geographic footprint of multi-local clients. Due to the competitive nature of the business, the BDD will be required to continuously reinvent New Business and pitching for Carat and the network, working closely with the Chief Business Development Officer to successfully deliver Redefining Media in the pitch environment.
This person will need to be able to help motivate and inspire others to shine in front of clients. The right candidate will need to be confident in dealing with different personalities, cultures (a genuine passion for working internationally is a must) and comfortable operating at a board level within the organisation. Above all, we want someone who will ensure that our work is always of the highest quality possible, adding precision, rigour and detail to our efforts. The BDD will need the skills to make the pitch process fulfilling and developmental for all concerned.
All of the clients listed previously in the Company Profile started out as prospects. The BDD will also help to build a sustainable new business pipeline through rigorous networking and prospecting.
The BDD will also play a critical role in managing the professionalism of the operations of the team.
Carat has a long-standing commitment to Business Development. It is a core function, and the team is highly respected across the DAN business. Deep resources are in place to manage pitch information, through the New Business Intelligence Team; and the creative look/feel through the Creative Services team, so the Business Development team can focus on what it will take to win. The team is made up of people who are hugely supportive of each other, leading in some cases, then supporting in others. Capabilities are of critical importance, but as important are the right behaviours.
- Co-ownership of the plan to achieve new business targets in line with the overarching business strategy for the Carat network.
- Co-ownership of the Prospecting Plan and contact strategy.
- Lead pitch orchestration (RFI/P, pre-pitch and pitch) for the pitches the BDD is responsible for. This includes client and intermediary contact.
- Maintain a genuine interest and involvement in other pitches through collaborative teamwork.
- Ensures quality of pitch strategy, process and presentation.
- Works in close collaboration with Creative Services to optimise creative solutions for each pitch.
- Keep pace with change, continuously ensuring team has strong insight into external market conditions, global trends etc.
- Identify and deliver world-class operations for the BD Team (including financial reporting, budget control, pitch learning etc).
- Ensures rigorous alignment with New Business budget.
- Be an active member of the Business Development Community across the world.
- Ensure Carat learns from each pitch, recycling successes effectively.
- Becomes an ambassador for Carat connecting internal and external networks to deliver the promise of the operating model.
- Collaborates effectively across DAN, and the NB teams of all other network brands.
The Ideal Candidate
- Ten years’ experience in marketing/new business and/or client management (UK or international).
- Strong commercial edge.
- Excellent project management skills (capable of helping to run large-scale pitches).
- Razor-sharp attention to detail.
- Ability to develop strategic plans/ideas.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- An understanding of creative and ‘packaging’ of ideas/presentations.
- Thrives under pressure and excels in meeting strict deadlines.
- Diplomatic, able to develop strong relationships with key network stakeholders at all levels within the business.
- Capable of picking up projects and running with them.
- Ambitious self-starter, able to spot ideas and inspiration.
- Languages desirable, but not essential.
- Flexibility to travel at short notice if required.
About the Company
Carat is a global media planning and buying agency, consistently recognised as #1 in quality in RECMA’s Global Qualitative Assessment. Carat ranks #3 in size (global billings). The network is focussed on becoming #1 in both quality and billings. This role will have a very direct effect on enabling this to happen.
Established in 1968 as the world’s first media agency, Carat currently services clients more than 150 countries and employs more than 10,000 staff worldwide. Carat’s vision is to ‘Redefine Media’, to create powerful business outcomes for our clients through media. Carat is a trusted partner for some of the worlds most respected marketers like General Motors, P&G, Diageo, Coca-Cola, Mastercard, Beiersdorf, Mondelez, Pfizer, Philips, and Mattel.
Carat is part of Dentsu Aegis Network. Headquartered in London, Dentsu Aegis Network is made up of network brands like iProspect, Isobar, Mcgarrybowen, MKTG, Gyro, Posterscope; Merkle and Vizeum. Dentsu Aegis Network employs over 45,000 people globally, and this talent is connected and empowered by a unique operating model. Carat’s Global Business Development has access to all of this talent.
Dentsu Aegis Network