Head of Strategy
The Head of Strategy, is an exceptional and experienced strategic thinker who will take on responsibility for delivering the strategic communications agenda for our clients. You will develop brilliant solutions for key clients within the group using excellent brand, market, consumer and media understanding to deliver tangible business value. You will be motivated by building senior client relationships that enable them to challenge and develop briefs to push excellence in brand communications, across multiple channels, up the business agenda.
You will be extremely capable across the board with detailed knowledge of both online and offline environments, and move with ease between data, consumers and ideas. With an appetite for new learning and driving change this person will be a trusted partner for clients and a strong leader amongst the team. The Head of Strategy will work closely with Board leads and Client Directors to take ownership of the strategic planning product for all key clients within the group.
Responsibilities will also extend to supporting the agency’s new business initiatives through the delivery of game changing strategic insights, directional outputs and quantifiable impact metrics.
- To lead the Edinburgh Strategy and Insight department and to forge strong relationships with the other strategy experts across the DAN North business
- Accountable for the quality of consumer understanding, interrogating the role of brand and communications in consumer lives and culture using extensive client and industry consumer data.
- Accountable for the excellent and appropriate use of in-house proprietary research and planning tools (CCS and CCS Planner) to drive insight and business outcome focussed planning across media ecosystem.
- Accountable for influencing and guiding creative brief development based on the agreed Comms brief.
- Accountable for the development of a communications strategy (to identify the core role of communications) in collaboration with the creative agency based on client business objectives, consumer understanding and a full knowledge of the media ecosystem. Accountable for the development of creative media ideas, media partnerships and innovations based on the communications strategy to ensure their appropriateness.
- Accountable for understanding, interpreting and distilling the core business and marketing objectives into a Comms brief for key clients.
- Accountable for leveraging econometrics, business analytics and past campaign/competitive learnings to develop, refine and deliver media implementation guidelines.
- In conjunction with Client Directors drive commercial added value relationships through incremental DAN product sales and increased media budgets.
- With the other members of the client team, you are responsible for maintaining an excellent relationship with your clients, ensuring good CRR scores. Specific areas of focus: our clients’ opinion of our ability to drive consumer understanding, business value through media and to develop ecosystem plans across all bought, owned and earned channels.
- Responsible for interrogating the brief, developing consumer understanding, communications strategies and how they fit within the media ecosystems to deliver business value for new business pitches. Lead the communications planning part of the new business process and be an integral, collaborative part of the pitch team from taking the brief to preparing and delivering a final presentation.
The Ideal Candidate
- Communicator - Excellent and intelligent communication style to deliver strategic direction and advice in presentations, in person and in writing
- Independent thinking - with the right balance of ambition, scepticism and enthusiasm but can work across and with multiple stakeholders.
- Curious – in how the worlds of consumers & communications are consistently changing.
- Analytical – confident with data and evidence, able to spot broad patterns and great insights.
- Informed – up to date and well read about both communications and the wider world.
- Approachable – someone always happy to improve the skills and knowledge of their colleagues.
- Positive – motivated by the challenges of both our clients and our own business
- Confident – a fluent and persuasive presenter able to engage with clients and colleagues alike.
In addition to a competitive salary we are committed to creating a great environment for all our employees. We offer everything you would expect from a large company including 25 days holiday plus the opportunity to buy more holiday, flex your working hours and take 2 paid volunteering days each year to support charitable causes.
We also provide pension contributions, life assurance, free eye tests, season ticket loans, a cycle to work scheme, childcare vouchers, and a whole host of great local and national discounts from leading retailers that you’ll have access to as an employee.
About the Company
Dentsu Aegis Network is Innovating the Way Brands are Built for its clients through its best-in-class expertise and capabilities in media, digital and creative communications services. With consumers more connected, through a range of devices, than ever before, the era of media convergence is presenting many opportunities as well as a new, complex media eco-system. From identifying who the consumers are, to how they make their decisions.
Dentsu Aegis Network is made up of nine global network brands - Carat, Dentsu, Dentsu media, iProspect, Isobar, mcgarrybowen, MKTG, Posterscope and Vizeum and supported by its specialist/multi-market brands. Dentsu Aegis Network is Innovating the Way Brands Are Built for its clients through its best-in-class expertise and capabilities in media, digital and creative communications services. Offering a distinctive and innovative range of products and services, Dentsu Aegis Network is headquartered in London and operates in 145 countries worldwide with over 30,000 dedicated specialists.
We value the strength diversity brings to our business and are working hard to build a more inclusive workplace through partnerships with Stonewall, Business Disability Forum and Business in the Community’s race and gender equality campaigns. We are happy to discuss all flexible and agile approaches to working for all our roles – we can’t promise we will be able to offer you everything you want or need but we do promise to discuss it with you openly and honestly.
If you have any reasonable adjustment needs arising from a disability or medical condition to fully participate in the recruitment process, please discuss this with the recruiter who contacts you.
Dentsu Aegis Network